Downloading Bank Transactions into Gnucash

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Mar 18 11:58:01 EDT 2018

> On Mar 17, 2018, at 11:43 AM, Kathleen Hubbard <kchubbard2014 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is it possible to download bank transactions into Gnucash without having Quicken ?  I read that it will using a QIF file.  So sounds like the user needs Quicken to be able to download bank transactions into Gnucash.  Is this correct?

No.

GnuCash can import QIF, QFX, and OFX files, and most financial institution websites can make downloads in one or more of those formats. No Quicken required, though some websites will offer the option of downloading in “Quicken Format”, meaning either QIF or QFX at the whim of the webmaster, or “Microsoft Money Format”, meaning OFX.

Some institutions also proved a connection service called “OFX Direct Connect”, and GnuCash’s Online Banking Module can connect to that service and retrieve transactions directly. N.B. that there is a similar service called “OFX Web Connect” that GnuCash cannot use.

Regards,
John Ralls