incorrect starting balance in reconcile

darrylctx darrylctx at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 15:22:10 EDT 2018

I am trying to reconcile a Bank account.
Everything has been working fine since I opened the account, but recently I
tried to reconcile a statement, and the starting balance of the reconcile is
incorrect.
At the end of every statement, I put in a trxn with 0 value and the correct
ending balance in the description so that I can quickly check the ledger.
The starting balance had always matched the correct balance for the account
on the next reconcile.  This time it did not.
After reading through a lot of posts concerning incorrect starting balances,
I decided to unreconcile all the trxns in the account and re-reconcile.
After un-reconciling back the account open, when I try to reconcile the
first trxn (amount = 0), the starting balance in the reconcile is not zero.
There are no trxns before this one trxn I am trying to reconcile.

HOW CAN THIS BE?

It appears that GNU Cash is keeping a reconciled balance in the file that is
no longer correct.

I can fix this with an entry to balance the starting balance and make a note
that it is because of a bug in GNUCash, but this is very bad, as if anyone
ever looks at the books, they will ask the legitimate question:

Can I trust a program that requires adjusting entries because of bugs?

Once all txns in an account are unreconciled, it should be possible to reset
the starting balance for the account to the correct starting balance.

Based on all the related posts I've seen, this appears to be an ongoing
problem.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks,