Date limit on transactions / freezing transactions

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Fri Mar 23 14:47:47 EDT 2018

On 3/23/2018 2:28 PM, Stan Brown wrote:
> I am entering historical data 2011-2017 in a Gnucash file separate from my current file (starting 2018).
>
> (1) In the historical file, I want to limit transactions so that I can't enter a date of 2018 or otherwise out a certain range. Is there any way?
>
> (2) Also in the historical file, once I've checked a month's data against the dBase original, I want to mark those transactions so that they can't be altered. Is there a way to do that? I thought reconciliation might do it, but (a) I can't reconcile even the initial balances, though they do balance, and (b) in the help I saw reference to deleting reconciled transactions, which sounds like they are not protected.
>
> Thanks in advance!

MARK the transactions so that they cannot be altered? Or MAKE the entire
historical set of books unalterable?

Am I correct, you want to be able to look at your historical data but
not alter it? That's easy. After you have gotten the historical file to
your satisfaction, make a copy of the file to ROM (burn it to a DVD,
etc.) and delete the one in read/write memory. Now in the future, when
you want to look at your historical books, insert that DVD, open
gnucash, and tell gnucash to open the file (on the DVD)

Michael D Novack

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.