beginning balance of income and expense accounts

Dale Alspach alspachde at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 18:34:11 EDT 2018

In that case your first entry should be income total from the start of
the accounting year to Sept. 30 and you should be doing the analogous
thing for all accounts. ( I am assuming that your accounting year
started on January 1 or some other date prior to Sept. 30.) By doing
this you will be establishing the status of all accounts at the time you
quit using Microsoft Money. I suggest ignoring the Opening Balance
account net value. Instead concentrate on getting each account to have
the correct balance as of Sept. 30, i.e., to agree with Microsoft Money
(up to any restructuring of the accounts), before you begin entering
post Sept. 30 transactions. I know nothing about Microsoft Money but I
assume you can get an income-expense (profit-loss) report and a balance
sheet as of Sept. 30. Running the same reports in gnucash should help
you check your starting point.

Dale