GnuCash 2.7.8 Released

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Mar 25 20:50:53 EDT 2018

> On Mar 25, 2018, at 5:33 PM, Stan Brown <the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>

> On 2018-03-25 19:54, John Ralls wrote:
>
>> The Gnucash Development Team is pleased to release Gnucash 2.7.8,
>> the ninth release of an unstable series leading to Gnucash 3.0. This
>> release is a Release Candidate: If no bugs requiring major work are
>> reported the next release will be 3.0.
>
> John,
>
> Am I correct in assuming that the release is entirely self-contained in
> Windows, and doesn't install anything in C;\Windows\System32,
> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files", etc?
>
> In other words, can I have 2.6.19 and 2.7.8 on the same Windows 7 PC,
> simply by installing them to different folders? I'm spending a lot of
> time converting seven years of data from a dBase file, and I don't want
> to install 2.7.8 if it will interfere with 2.6.19.

Stan,

Absolutely yes to the first question.

Yes to the second with a couple of warnings: They use the same registry keys and auxiliary file locations, so if you change the preferences in one it will affect the other; that's true if you install them to separate directories or reinstall back-and-forth to the same one.

There's also a date-format incompatibility in the SQLite3 backend. It will be resolved with 2.6.20 but you won't be able to open a SQLite3 database with 2.6.19 once it's been written to by 2.7.x.

Regards,
John Ralls