[GNC] Handling VISA Debit Accounts

jeffrey black beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Tue May 8 11:41:03 EDT 2018

On 05/07/2018 01:39 AM, Karen Stingel wrote:
> This is a Fix of my previous thread ... Re: gnucash-user Digest, Vol
> 182, Issue 8,
> apologies for not clarifying the subject line last time.
>
> How does gnc handle the Case of a VISA Debit card?
> Technically, this is a BANK account with a VISA enabled card and a
> $0.00 Credit Limit
> Should it just be created as a normal BANK account type?
>
> Are there any plans to include this as a new Asset Account type in
> future editions of gnc?
>
> Are Python Bindings enabled in the Windows binaries, and could this
> Account type be added via writing a Python script?

> .

Karen:

Unless for some specific reason you need to monitor the use of your
debit card(s), don't.  Your transactions related to the debit card
should show up on your bank statement.  The only reasonable case I can
think of where a separate account is warranted is using re-loadable pay
as you go cards.

Instead, I recommend utilizing the "Num" field to identify how each
transaction was handled.  You can easily design your own schema.  In my
case I use:

#### for checks (the actual check number)

dbt for debit transactions (things like buying gasoline)

eft for electronic fund transfers (transfer electronically to a merchant
and ach transactions that are not paid by check)

txfr to transfer money between accounts within the same financial
institution

dep for deposits.

atm for well atm transactions.

Just my 2 cents worth.