[GNC] Advice needed, how to handle a medical reimbursement account...

Peter Rowed peterrowed at protonmail.com
Mon May 14 00:26:59 EDT 2018

Hi Randix,

OK, I misunderstood the $1000.00. Here is how I would do it.....

1 You have set up asset accounts for MRA and checking account.
2. You have set up an income account for MRA income. (I'm not sure if that is treated as income in US but it's going to work)
3. You have set up a medical expense account.
4, now you need a fourth set of accounts for each MRA titled Claims in Process. It's a clearing account and in Australia would be treated as an asset.

The steps are....

1. on day 1 you are notified that $1,000 has been deposited in a holding account for your MRA , let's call it membership. So in Gnucash you debit the holding account and credit the income account, as explained above.

2. on day 2 you pay $100 to a doctor so you credit your checking account for $100 and debit the expense account, as above.

3. On Day 3, you submit a claim of $100 to the MRA . So in Gnucash you credit the MRA account and debit the MRA claim in process account (clearing account)

4. on Day 4 you receive $100 from the MRA. You debit the checking account and credit the MRA claim in process account.

At the end of all of this, your MRA will have $900DR, Your clearing will have $0, your bank will have $0, your medical expense will have $100DR and your MRA income will have $1000CR.

Accounting should always reflect what is actually happening and you have a history of what happened.

Just as you have a hierarchy of MRA accounts, you could have a hierarchy of MRA clearing and income accounts. At any time you can report on what your MRA account balances are, what is in progress and what income you have earned.

You could skip the income and clearing account hierarchies and just have one and identify the MRA ownership with a comment in the memo of the transaction. I wouldn't do that as the effort and disk space in unique accounts is insignificant and not hostage to the possibility of miskeying a memo comment and then chasing a miscoded transaction.

This is the way I keep books for my clients and is quite normal in Australia.

Hope this helps, email me if i have confused you and i'll try again

​Regards Peter

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.​