[GNC] Advice needed, how to handle a medical reimbursement account...

randix butterandsalt at gmail.com
Tue May 15 07:36:17 EDT 2018

GnuCash - User mailing list wrote
> Hi Randix,
>
> OK, I misunderstood the $1000.00. Here is how I would do it.....

Just wanted to do a quick reply that after spending many hours last night, I
basically followed what you laid out and have it working perfectly for my
needs, although I'm sure "pure accountants" will take exception.  It lets me
keep track of my various MRA accounts, and see the current balance in each
which is important to me; it also lets me keep track of total MRA deposits
received and MRA payments made, and makes sure that any MRA paid amounts are
credited on the various health related expense accounts.  Below is what I
did, which pretty much follows your suggestions.  Thanks again for your time
and patience (and everyone else as well) in helping me out on this one...

---------------------

I set up the following accounts:

ASSET:MRA_abc
ASSET:MRA_def
ASSET:MRA_ghi

Multiple accounts, one for each company that has funded a medical
reimbursement account for me, allows me to keep track of the current
available balance in each separate account

EXPENSE:Health:*MRA_Payments

Keeps track of total MRA payments from all MRA accounts for claims
submitted/processed

EXPENSE:Health:Insurance

Just one of my standard health expense accounts

INCOME:*MRA_Deposits

Keeps track of total MRA deposits made by the various companies in the
various MRA accounts

------------------

So assume abc company notifies me they have deposited $1000 in my MRA_abc
account on 5/1/18. Assume thereafter on 5/5/18 I pay $100 health insurance
premium from my checking, on 5/10/18 I file a claim for reimbursement from
the MRA_abc account for the $100 premium payment, and on 5/15/18 I receive a
direct deposit in my checking account for the claim.

1-May:
Income:*MRA_Deposits -$1000
Asset:MRA_abc +$1000

Balances: MRA_abc $1,000, *MRA_Deposits $1000

5-May
Asset:Checking -$100
Expense:Health:Insurance +$100

Balances: Checking account balance, Expense:Health:Insurance $100

10-May: submit claim
Asset:MRA_abc -$100
Expense:Health:*MRA_Payments +$100

Balances: MRA_abc $900, Expense:Health:*MRA_Payments $100

15-May: receive reimbursement
Expense:Health:Insurance -$100
Asset:Checking +$100

Balances: Checking account balance, Expense:Health:Insurance $0, MRA_abc
balance $900