[GNC] how do I get different dates for balancing transactions when transferring amounts between two accounts

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue May 15 14:22:58 EDT 2018

Rufus,

The date issue is handled by the suggestion offered by Kate. You need an intermediary account.

I assist a family business with their books and we use both an ‘undeposited funds’ account (for checks received) and a ‘check clearing’ account to handle these ‘in-transit’ states until the funds end up at their final resting place. I was about to suggest as much, but kept reading the thread and realized she beat me to it. I’ve seen that approach (and no others) suggested many places so my guess is that it is fairly standard practice. (plus her CPA creds attest to that)

When you write the check, that will get the date you write it, into the account you wrote the check on.

When you confirm the deposit, that is a separate transaction with it’s own date from the clearing account to the other checking/savings account you wrote the check to.

I’m not sure what others do but I put check numbers on transactions when I receive a check as well as issue one. I see it just as a document number, a reference number. I don’t consider the number itself to be anything special. What makes it a ‘deposit’ is if it is a debit to a checking/savings asset, not the existence of a reference number.

Note, a withdrawal of funds might also have some sort of reference/transaction number. I’d put that in the same field in such a case. It’s just a reference to the document evidencing the transaction.

In your case, you’re doing both the writing and receiving, but the process is otherwise the same.

If you’re not using the clearing account (and thus still not going to get different dates) you’ll see something like this:

1/1/18	12345	Bank ABC
		transfer by check	Assets:Savings			$100
					Assets:Checking		$100

If you were using the clearing account:

First the initial draft:

1/1/18	12345	Bank ABC
		transfer by check	Assets:Savings			$100
					Assets:Check Clearing	$100

Then the acknowledgement that the check was received by the other bank:

1/4/18	12345	Bank XYZ
		transfer by check	Assets:Check Clearing		$100
					Assets:Checking		$100

You could alternately put the check number in the Action field instead of the Num field. A reason might be to either repurpose the Num field, or for the case of multiple drafts:

1/1/18		Bank ABC
	12345	transfer by check	Assets:Savings			$100
	67890	transfer by check	Assets:Money Market		$100
					Assets:Check Clearing	$200

In my case, I repurpose the Num field as a time entry. (since GnuCash doesn’t have a time-stamp entry field, though it internally does use one) This way, I can enter transactions in any order and still have them appear in my register as they really happened. (this is most important for cash accounts, but can be useful elsewhere, so I just use this 100% as a habit)

My version would be something like this:

1/1/18	1425t	Bank ABC
	12345	transfer by check	Assets:Savings			$100
	67890	transfer by check	Assets:Money Market		$100
					Assets:Check Clearing	$200

The ‘1425t’ would indicate I conducted this transaction at 2:25pm that day. The ’t’ distinguishes the number from a check or other reference number as being a time, and I use 24 hour notation since the sorting algorithm in GnuCash on this field stops once it encounters a non-numeric so I can’t use any am/pm designation or a ‘:’. Now that I’ve placed a time in the Num field, I can’t use it for a check number, so I use the Action fields for that on each relevant split line.

You could instead use the Action field with one of the preset actions that might make the transaction more readable and structured (its intended purpose) and then place the check/transaction number in the split’s memo field. Either way, that number will still be searchable.,

1/1/18	1425t	 Bank ABC
	Transfer by check #12345	Assets:Savings			$100
	Transfer by check #67890	Assets:Money Market		$100
					Assets:Check Clearing	$200

If the account is of type ‘Bank’ you’ll have a nice list in the Action drop down of bank-related actions, or if you want an action that isn’t listed in the drop down, or the type isn’t ‘Bank' you can always just type the action you want.

None of this is a ‘right way’ or ‘wrong way’ but rather how you do this is up to you depending on what level of detail you need for your records to be able to audit yourself for reliability and to make financial decisions. (that’s why we keeps records, not just for their own sake, but to use that info to make decisions)

The question I ask myself after I figure out what accounts I need to use for a particular transaction is, “What info am I going to need when I want to investigate something about this transaction?” The answer will determine what level of detail I enter and where I choose to put it. Of course, it’s only slow going in the beginning. After a time, you tend to just enter the transactions ‘automatically’ without much thought, because you’ve already done the thinking on previous entries.

Regards,
Adrien

>>> Rufus