[GNC] Split registering capital gain does not show up in capital gains register

Ondra Kamenik ondra.kamenik at gmail.com
Sun May 20 02:16:22 EDT 2018

First of all, let me thank the developers for the amazing work and efforts.
GnuCash is exactly what I wanted, i like to be in the driving seat and i
don't like software doing things behind the scenes for me. So GnuCash is a
perfect match.

However, GnuCash does not seem to do a basic thing for double entry
accounting for the capital gains from selling a stock. I figured out how to
write zero-stocks zero-price transaction to register capital gain "out of
nothing", but when I look to the opposite side in the capital gain
register, the transaction is there, but it has empty Charge/Income cells
and it does not increase the balance.

See my screenshots attached. Don't get confused with the first transaction
from opening balances, the account is in Czech crowns, so there some
unusual numbers. Capital gains account is in USD, the new price is in USD.

Out of desperation, i created a minimalistic example, similar to what is in
the concepts manual about selling a stock with capital gains. Everything
works smoothly in the small example. See screenshots attached.

I am using 2.6.18. Rev 3a9fbb8+ on 2017-09-27. The same behavior is on
Linux as well as Mac. [We don't have windows in our house].

any help greatly appreciated.

0.