[GNC] data file

Chris Good goodchris96 at gmail.com
Sat May 26 21:59:36 EDT 2018

<david.griffin at outlook.co.nz<mailto:david.griffin at outlook.co.nz><mailto:davi
> d.griffin at outlook.co.nz<mailto:david.griffin at outlook.co.nz>>> wrote:
> I recently opened a second set of accounts with gnu cash. However, now the
> first set of accounts has dropped off the list on the file menu and I
cannot find it.
> How do I get back into the first set?
>
> Cheers, David

Hi David,

Glad you found your data file!
Any idea why you didn't find it by searching?

This is a regularly recurring problem, and I have an idea about another way
to solve this next time.
My idea is based on the fact that the list of recent files (in Windows) and
their full pathname is kept in the Windows Registry in
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GSettings\org\gnucash\history].
You could restore, from a backup taken during the time you were using the
missing data file, the registry files (C:\Windows\System32\config...) TO
ANOTHER LOCATION and the examine them to determine where your missing file
should be.

I wasn't sure how to do that so I asked and received an answer:
https://superuser.com/questions/1326122/how-to-restore-and-dump-a-windows-re
gistry-without-overwriting-the-current-regis

I know this is too technical for most users but for the reward of getting a
missing data file back, it may be worth getting the help of a more technical
friend.

I'm going to soon release a new version of my BackupGnuCash app [1] which
will include a dump of the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GSettings\org\gnucash
registry entries as a .reg file, so it will soon be easier to find missing
files if you use my tool.

[1] https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Published_tools

Regards, Chris Good