[GNC] location for environment.local on macOS

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue May 29 09:51:49 EDT 2018

> On May 29, 2018, at 4:31 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> Op maandag 28 mei 2018 22:48:25 CEST schreef John Ralls:
>>> On May 28, 2018, at 1:43 PM, David Reiser <dbreiser at icloud.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Where should the environment.local file be put on macOS? I tried
>>> $HOME/Library/Application Support/Gnucash where I have some other things
>>> like a Checks folder for custom formats, but the program didn’t pick up
>>> the variable (AQOFX_LOG_COMM=1) I’m trying to set. If I add the variable
>>> to the environment file in the app bundle, it works. But I’m tired of
>>> having to try to remember to re-edit the distribution version for each
>>> release.
>> Dave,
>>
>> Unfortunately it’s right next to environment in the bundle so for Mac
>> there’s no benefit to using it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>
> Does OS X have a generic facility to set global environment variables ? You
> can use that as well. Gnucash will pick up global environment variables as
> well.

It does, but it’s clunky, geeky, and generally out of reach for normal users: One must create a plist in ~/Library/Launchagents and set the EnvironmentVariables key. For those with Macs this is documented in launchd.plist(5).

It also seems to change every few years: For 10.7-10.9 there was a plain text file called launchd.conf. Before that there was a special hidden file one could create called something like .MacOSXEnvironment.

Regards,
John Ralls