[GNC] A/P: invoice not displayed and payment is displayed

DaveC49 davidcousens at bigpond.com
Tue May 29 19:56:19 EDT 2018

Rich,

How are you creating the payment of the Bill?

If you open the Bill and then use the payment icon in the Toolbar (no need
to search for the bill to pay) or alternatively use the
Business->Vendor->Process Payment and search for the Bill by Vendor and
select the Bill the transactions for the invoice and payment all appear in
the Accounts Payable. They are not physically linked in any way and invoices
posted on the same day all appear before payments on the same day. If the
invoice and payment are not posted on the same day, the may not be anywhere
near each other in the Accounts Payable register list.

(A nice feature perhaps would be the ability to jump to view the associated
invoice from either the payment or the transaction associated with the
invoice just as you can jump to the register of another split in the
transaction which would help tracking down which transactions and invoices
are linked and also perhaps jump from an Invoice/Bill to the transactions in
A/R and A/P associated with the Bill and Payments to that bill).

If the payment is created as above, the Ref column contains the Bill Id
Number of the associated Bill. In my early days using GnuCash business
features I managed to get bills associated with the wrong payments and it
was quite tricky working out what bill was associated with what payment
where they are posted on different days. In the end I deleted the payments
and then reentered them from the correct bills.

I am using a default CoA in a test business file in which Accounts Payable
appears directly under Liabilities i.e.
Liabilities:Accounts Payable and the account type spefcified in the Edit
Account dialog (right click on the account in the account tree and select
Edit Account) is of Type A/Payable.

I noticed that your account is under Liabilities:Current Liabilities:...
It may be possible that either the account type is not set at A/Payable
particularly if you created the account yourself rather than using one of
the pre generated account structures.

I have noticed in the past that the business features are very sensitive to
the setup of Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable and won't function
correctly otherwise. As far as I know there can only be one of each file
type for A/R and A/P in the CoA (post from Derek several years ago when I
experimented with creating separate accounts payable for each vendor -
didn't work).

I don't think there are any limitations on where A/R and A/P can be located
in the CoA structure under Liabilities as long as it is of the correct
account type but I am less sure of that and haven't determined whether that
is the case.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens