[GNC] Import transactions

jeffrey black beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Thu May 31 00:06:46 EDT 2018

On 05/30/2018 09:35 AM, ddemott at juno.com wrote:
> I'm new to GnuCash and trying to learn and use some of its features. I downloaded version 3.1 and experiencing some very unexpected behavior. In particular, I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to export transactions from GnuCash for Android and import them into GnuCash. Here's what I experience: GnuCash for AndroidSolicits filename before selecting the export type (qif, xml). Regardless what I specify, ".zip" appends to the filename.
> Selecting 'qif' crashes the app.
> Selecting 'xml' works but I discovered that the resultant file is not actually "zipped".
> Exporting to 'xml' does not allow the same date selection and delete after exporting options as offered for 'qif' exports.
> GnuCashRenaming the 'xml' file exported from Android to '.gnucash' will open with my transactions. Unfortunately, I can neither import transactions from a 'gnucash' file nor can I export transactions to a 'qif' file.
> I can export to 'csv' but I must manually expand every account branch before I can successfully include all sub-accounts for export.
> GnuCash will not import transactions from the same 'csv' file it exported.
> I'm trying to create proper expectations. Can someone please tell me whether these characteristics are imagined or real, bugs or features? Dale DeMott
> .

When you export from GnuCash Android, it defaults to a zip file. Down
load it from your Android device to your computer and then unzip it.
You then will have a qif file that you can import.

Even though the Android app and GnuCash are developed by entirely
different teams, the Android app is an incredibly helpful tool to use in
conjunction with GnuCash.  It has saved me many times, thermal receipts
don't like billfolds or laying on the dash in sunlight.

--
--JEffrey Black M.B.A.