[GNC] AlphaVantage Stock Quotes

Dave Tapuska dave at tapuska.com
Wed May 30 22:59:05 EDT 2018

So I've constantly run into issues getting quotes for stocks I have listed.
Sometimes it loads some of them, and it seems completely random.

I'm using 3.0-118-gd2ef5fd0f+ (2018-04-28) with Finance Quote 1.47.

I had a closer look at why the individual requests were taking so long.
(Upwards of 1s per request) and it appears that there is throttling in the
perl module of Finance::Quote to work around rate limiting on the server
side. (See
https://github.com/finance-quote/finance-quote/blob/master/lib/Finance/Quote/AlphaVantage.pm#L252;
causing a delay of 700ms) per request.

If you add the connection time in here and increase the number of stocks
then you just hit a timeout that gnucash is leaving for the requests and it
seems it just generally fails all the time.

Anyone can validate what I am seeing? Should I move to another data source?
Does Alphavantage have any feedback?

>From the gnucash point of view it only uses the latest quote so even
returning the compact list (which is the last 100 days) is far overkill.
Perhaps a lighter weight request returning the last closing value would be
sufficient.

dave.