[GNC] Accidentally Created .LNK file and now my entire GnuCash file is overwritten and I can't get back to work

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sun Nov 4 05:07:01 EST 2018

Op zondag 4 november 2018 10:41:48 CET schreef David Cousens:
> Anita,
>
> You may find the information on this wiki page useful in locating where your
> data is stored. I am also not a MacOS user but some of the information at
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations may help
> The section on USER_DATA_HOME will give you some locations where your
> GnuCash data files are stored under MacOS.

Unfortunately this is a wrong interpretation of USER_DATA_HOME. This is *not*
where the user's data files are stored. In fact it should not be there and
gnucash will even prevent you from actively saving your data file there.
Instead it's where applications can store metadata about internal states
(which windows and tabs are open, window positions and sizes, sort order of
columns and so on). So I guess USER_METADATA_HOME would have been a better
name.

Instead, as on any platform the data files should be where the user decided to
save them.

> You should find a directory named
> "gnucash" in one of those locations. It should contain files which have the
> following formats
> <filename>.gnucash                              the original data file
> <filename>.<timestamp>.gnucash        a backup file
> <filename>.<timestamp>.log                 a log file

So no not in the gnucash subdirectory of USER_DATA_HOME (which incidentally we
refer to as GNC_DATA_HOME). these files should be where you saved them.

The remainder of your suggestions are good though.

Regards,

Geert