[GNC] Accidentally Created .LNK file and now my entire GnuCash file is overwritten and I can't get back to work

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sun Nov 4 09:54:11 EST 2018

Op zondag 4 november 2018 14:59:39 CET schreef Anita Graves via gnucash-user:
> Dear Gnucash folks.  I just
>  read on the Internet that the file extension .LNK is a Windows file
> shortcut.  What does that mean????  I don’t use Windows and thought I had
> downloaded Gnucash for Mac. Thank you all. Anita

While on Windows the .LNK extension refers to a Windows shortcut, gnucash uses
it differently. It's one of the two files it creates to lock a book (the other
file will end in .LCK).
In general you should not worry about those two files. If they exist that
means gnucash didn't close properly last time you used it. In other words: it
crashed. And that's what you said has happened. If they exist, gnucash will
warn you that your book is still locked as gnucash itself can't distinguish a
crash from another user having the book still open. As you know it's crashed
you can choose "Open anyway" and the locks will be reset. Of course as long as
*this* run of gnucash still has your book open, the .LCK and .LNK files will
remain. They only go away as gnucash quits. And even then, on my system
several .LNK files are still lingering next to my test books and they work
fine nonetheless.
To conclude: the .LNK file is not your worry. You really can ignore or even
remove it.

Geert