[GNC] Accidentally Created .LNK file and now my entire GnuCash file is overwritten and I can't get back to work

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sun Nov 4 10:40:14 EST 2018

Anita,

On a MAC, you cannot double-click on a file.  The "Open File" message
doesn't get sent to GnuCash.  The way to open a specific file on GnuCash
is to open GnuCash and then File -> Open from the menu.  It's the ONLY way
you can open a specific data file on a Mac.

-derek

On Sun, November 4, 2018 10:25 am, Anita Graves via gnucash-user wrote:
> Maf, when I click on the gnu icon to open the program, this screen with
> these two images, one on top of the other comes up.  That is what opens
> before my eyes.
>
> I am going to convert my .jpg photos to .pdf files and send them to you.
> Anita
>
>> On 4 Nov 2018, at 17:23, Maf. King <maf at chilwell.net> wrote:
>>
>> Ok Anita,
>>
>> I'm sure jpg files are perfectly possible to be sent via the list.  99%
>> sure
>> that I've seen them.  maybe convert to png as another option?
>>
>> if you can't get images through, you're going to have to be a lot more
>> specific
>> about what you do and what you can see.
>>
>> Where *exactly* do you see this superposition of the LNK file?  What do
>> you
>> click before you see it?  what happens when you start gnucash - does the
>> "File
>> is locked" message still come up?
>>
>> MF.
>>

>> On Sunday, 4 November 2018 15:15:23 GMT Anita Graves via gnucash-user
>> wrote:
>>> screenshots on a Mac are .jpg photo files.  I think your system does
>>> not
>>> allow these thru.
>>>
>>> I am essentially locked out of my working mac file.  For example, this
>>> .LNK
>>> file will not let me open my account ‘checking’.  I cannot make any
>>> entries
>>> in my checking account, either debit or credit.  In fact, when I move
>>> my
>>> cursor there the file ‘checking’ will not even open a page for me.
>>>
>>> I have essentially locked myself out of my own Gnc working file.  Now,
>>> when
>>> you could see the screen shots you could understand that the window
>>> shows
>>> the .LNK file superimposed on my other file that I need to get at.  It
>>> is
>>> literally shown on top of my file that I need to work with.  What I am
>>> going to do is convert my .jpg screenshots to .pdf files and hope that
>>> everyone can see what I am talking about.  I will do this and then
>>> re-send
>>> my original question.
>>>
>>> How can I reverse that superimposition?  How can I reverse the lock?
>>

>> --
>> Maf. King
>> PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745