[GNC] Multiple currencies and business functions

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Nov 6 12:22:12 EST 2018

Op dinsdag 6 november 2018 17:16:16 CET schreef Matthew Pounsett:
> I have cases with both billable employee expenses (vouchers) and billable
> purchases (vendor bills) which need to go on customer invoices.   This is
> fairly straight forward... the problem I'm having is how to deal with these
> when the currency I'm entering the voucher or bill in is not the same as
> the customer's invoice currency.
>
> To use a concrete example, say I've got a $100 employee expense in CAD that
> gets marked as billable.  If I have a client whose default currency is USD,
> when the item is added it appears with the CAD value ($100) but is added up
> in the total at the bottom as if it's USD.
>
> Is there a step I'm missing somewhere to get it to show up as a USD value
> in the invoice?

I believe you have just pushed the boundaries of what to do with invoices
further than anyone ever could have imagined :)

I don't think anyone so far ever considered the case of having billable
expenses in a different currency from the invoice currency. And from what you
tell I gather it's currently not supported.

The currency logic is pretty simple: every amount you see in the invoice
entries is assumed to be in the customer's default currency. They income
account for each entry can be in a currency different from the invoice
account. In that case a currency conversion will be applied when posting this
amount to the income account. But as amounts for billable items come from the
entries, they are assumed to be in the customer's currency.

This is a bug either way: or gnucash should prevent an entry from appearing as
billable if it's original bill is not in the same currency as the invoice, or
gnucash should support this and properly handle currency conversions.
The first solution will be far more easy to implement than the second though.

Can I ask you to file this as a bug report in bugzilla ? Refer to http://
wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Bugzilla on how to use our bug tracker.

Thanks,

Geert