[GNC] Import CSV Multi-currency

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sun Nov 25 17:39:07 EST 2018

Op zondag 25 november 2018 23:04:45 CET schreef David Cousens:
> Hi Geert,On Sun, 2018-11-25 at 15:47 +0100, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > Op zaterdag 24 november 2018 23:47:33 CET schreef David Cousens:
> > > The single line format data cannot be imported correctly at all at the
> > > moment as Geert indicated in his reply. The single line exported data
> > > has a
> > > separate column for the base account for the transaction and a separate
> > > column for the transfer account but in the importer as it is coded at
> > > the
> > > moment there is no facility to associate a transfer account to this
> > > column.
> >
> > This is inaccurate. You definitely can associate a transfer account to the
> > column in single line import mode. There is "Account" and "Transfer
> > Account" for a reason. And it works well in a single currency
> > environment. It breaks down in a multi currency one.
>
> Agreed that it works generally but ther are some specific limitations
> someone importing transactions will need to be aware of. I have started
> testing the importer as systematically as I can for a multicurrency import,
> specifically a multicurrency transaction AUD to USD for a withdrawal/credit
> to an AUD savings account of $100 AUD deposited/debited to a USD savings
> account with an exchange rate entered as 10/11 in the currency dialog. I
> have created single line exports in the GnuCash Export Format for the
> transaction from both the AUD Savings account and the USD Savings account.
>
> The exported transaction in SL mode from the AUD account contains no
> information that it involves another currency other than that the Full
> Category Path points to the USD account.
>
> If I select the import format as GnuCash Export Settings, set the date
> format and most of the columns to the values suggested by the headers, I
> cannot set the Full Category Path column in the exported data to Transfer
> Account as it does not appear in the drop down list. I would have expected
> that GnuCash on import would have been able to set the Transfer Account
> with the export settings.

Ah, now I'm with you. You are correct in so far that the import preset
"GnuCash Export Settings" will always assume the export happens in multi line
mode as that's the only way we can manage a complete export/re-import cycle
without data loss. The single line export facility can't preserve all
information in case of multi-split transactions (in the more common use of
more than 2 splits). I realize we never made that part clear anywhere.

And as I mentioned, in multi line mode a "Transfer account" makes no sense.

> If however I use No Settings, set the date format and assign the columns as
> their headings suggest, the Transfer Account does come up and I can set the
> import data Full Category Path as Transfer Account however the price data
> is 1.00 and when imported it shows the transaction value as $100, which is
> reasonable as there is no currency conversion information in the exported
> record, however the import is not triggering the currency conversion
> dialog.

Right. Multi currency does need more work. Please continue with your detailed
analysis. I think that will help a lot in framing the problem space.

Geert