[GNC] Accounting Modules

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Mon Nov 26 18:11:06 EST 2018

Stephen,

Gnucash really only fully implements the first three modules you have
described. It is certainly capable of maintaining the records necessary for
the other areas but does not support any in built calculations and automatic
creation of the entries in the books. At present any use of GnuCash for
these functions must be totally manual and all calculation largely external
to GnuCash.

One  reason for that is the details of the calculations required in most of
the other areas you describe often have a larger degree of dependency upon
local legislation and business practices. Even then in many cases the core
functionality is largely common, details of calculation methods employed and
rules on applicationof specific methods, thresholds of applicability etc
will vary, and the devil is in the detail.

The program does have basic support for the creation of other modules. When
I first started using GNuCash I was still working and was interested at that
stage in the possibility of both payroll and inventory capability to support
minor business ventures I was involved in which did not justify the
expenditure on using commercial accounting packages. I had used MYOB for
accounting for one business several years earlier. I have found however that
delving into the GnuCash code to be a not inconsiderble undertaking.

I recently found a program, Sourcetrail, which makes finding my way around
the existing C, C++code base little easier. It searches the code and
constructs a searchable database of where in the code functions are called,
definitions  are located, which has allowed me to construct ER diagrams and
map the program flow at least within the specific area of code I am working
on. Mapping the whole code would obviously be a desirable undertaking but I
fear I won't live that long.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens