[GNC] Accounting Modules

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Mon Nov 26 21:49:32 EST 2018

On 11/26/18 3:11 PM, David Cousens wrote:
> Stephen,
>
> Gnucash really only fully implements the first three modules you have
> described. It is certainly capable of maintaining the records necessary for
> the other areas but does not support any in built calculations and automatic
> creation of the entries in the books. At present any use of GnuCash for
> these functions must be totally manual and all calculation largely external
> to GnuCash.

Exactly my point.

> One  reason for that is the details of the calculations required in most of
> the other areas you describe often have a larger degree of dependency upon
> local legislation and business practices. Even then in many cases the core
> functionality is largely common, details of calculation methods employed and
> rules on applicationof specific methods, thresholds of applicability etc
> will vary, and the devil is in the detail.

Plus a few other places.

> The program does have basic support for the creation of other modules. When
> I first started using GNuCash I was still working and was interested at that
> stage in the possibility of both payroll and inventory capability to support
> minor business ventures I was involved in which did not justify the
> expenditure on using commercial accounting packages. I had used MYOB for
> accounting for one business several years earlier. I have found however that
> delving into the GnuCash code to be a not inconsiderble undertaking.

I would not want to burden the existing team with additional modules.
If another team decided to tackle one or some of the other modules and
utilize GNC as the back-end G/L that would be a different story.

> I recently found a program, Sourcetrail, which makes finding my way around
> the existing C, C++code base little easier. It searches the code and
> constructs a searchable database of where in the code functions are called,
> definitions  are located, which has allowed me to construct ER diagrams and
> map the program flow at least within the specific area of code I am working
> on. Mapping the whole code would obviously be a desirable undertaking but I
> fear I won't live that long.

Interesting.  Hopefully I remember to ask you about that when I get to
the "Learn C/C++" bucket item.

> David Cousens

--Steve

PS  If the length of life for my parents/grandparents is any indication,
I'll live long enough to master another couple of languages (software).
So for I've avoided going Forth.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com