[GNC] Accounting Modules

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Nov 27 04:13:37 EST 2018

Op dinsdag 27 november 2018 00:17:06 CET schreef John Ralls:
> > On Nov 27, 2018, at 6:35 AM, Stephen M. Butler <kg7je at arrl.net> wrote:
> The other big issue is that your description of the various modules in a
> business accounting system is for *big* business. That’s not what GnuCash
> is designed for and not what the current development team is interested in,
> never mind (as you point out) capable of supporting. There are a several
> open-source projects in that space, search the web for “foss erp” to find
> them. GnuCash is focussed on very small businesses (as in sole
> proprietorships) and individuals.

I mostly agree, yet I think many small businesses would benefit from a simple
inventory management system. My own business would have for that matter.

And while inventory is not strictly accounting it would make gnucash a viable
option to quite a few extra small businesses. So I'm in two minds with respect
to inventory support and have been for quite a while. In the past I envisioned
implementing it myself (reusing certain parts of the existing code and adding
the missing bits) but for various reasons shifted to other priorities. If
someone would step in to write it, I would still support the effort though.

Payroll on the other hand is not my cup of tea and likely more targeted at
larger businesses.

More generally, we can certainly use more hands to carry gnucash forward. So
Stephen your offer to lend us a hand is highly appreciated :)

Regards,

Geert