[GNC] Migrating to iMac from PC

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 11:23:27 EST 2018

> On 27 Nov 2018, at 14:36, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
>
> At Tue, 27 Nov 2018 13:47:16 +0000 Richard Jones <richardtrevorjones at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I know gnucash runs on both Macs and PCs but I cannot find anything about
>> the migration procedure.
>> I have gnucash 3.3 on Windows 10. I am considering buying an Apple iMac.
>> Can my files from the PC be used on the iMac easily?
>
> I would expect, yes.  The only tricky bit is making sure your "preferences"
> get moved over to the proper place.  I understand that clicking on data files
> does not work properly on the Mac -- the file clicked on does not open -- you
> just have to use the File=>Open menu item and navigate from there.
>
>> Thanks
>> Richard

A mild correction here: double-clicking on data files in the Finder on a Mac (the equivalent of Windows Explorer) DOES usually result in the file being opened by the appropriate program, but this doesn’t always work for programs ported from other environments.

The same applies to email attachments.

For example, if LibreOffice has been opened during a session, double-clicking one of its data files works OK, but if it’s the first time it’s been opened since the last reboot, LibreOffice crashes.

If you try this with a .gnucash file GnuCash starts up normally, but it doesn’t necessarily open the file you clicked on - it opens the most recently opened .gnucash file.

If Frescobaldi is already running, double-clicking a .ly file in Finder will open the file, but if Frescobaldi isn’t already running, it will be started up, but with no file opened.

MacVim will open a double-clicked file without complaint.

I’m not sure what to make of this from a programmer’s point of view, but it seems that the parameters passed by the operating system to the program that is being started aren’t being correctly interpreted by that program once it is running - to the extent of causing it to crash in the case of LibreOffice.

Michael