[GNC] Migrating to iMac from PC

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Nov 27 13:45:50 EST 2018

At Tue, 27 Nov 2018 16:23:27 +0000 Michael Hendry <hendry.michael at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 27 Nov 2018, at 14:36, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
> >=20
> > At Tue, 27 Nov 2018 13:47:16 +0000 Richard Jones =
> <richardtrevorjones at gmail.com> wrote:
> >=20
> >>=20
> >> I know gnucash runs on both Macs and PCs but I cannot find anything =
> about
> >> the migration procedure.
> >> I have gnucash 3.3 on Windows 10. I am considering buying an Apple =
> iMac.
> >> Can my files from the PC be used on the iMac easily?
> >=20
> > I would expect, yes.  The only tricky bit is making sure your =
> "preferences"=20
> > get moved over to the proper place.  I understand that clicking on =
> data files=20
> > does not work properly on the Mac -- the file clicked on does not open =
> -- you=20
> > just have to use the File=3D>Open menu item and navigate from there.
> >=20
> >> Thanks
> >> Richard
>
> A mild correction here: double-clicking on data files in the Finder on a =
> Mac (the equivalent of Windows Explorer) DOES usually result in the file =
> being opened by the appropriate program, but this doesn=E2=80=99t always =
> work for programs ported from other environments.

I was refering to the fact that *GnuCash* is one of the cases where it doesn't
work, probably because it is one of those "programs ported from other
environments".  I understand that *in general* Finder will open the proper
program and open the selected file when the file icon is double-clicked.

> The same applies to email attachments.
>
> For example, if LibreOffice has been opened during a session, =
> double-clicking one of its data files works OK, but if it=E2=80=99s the =
> first time it=E2=80=99s been opened since the last reboot, LibreOffice =
> crashes.
>
> If you try this with a .gnucash file GnuCash starts up normally, but it =
> doesn=E2=80=99t necessarily open the file you clicked on - it opens the =
> most recently opened .gnucash file.
>
> If Frescobaldi is already running, double-clicking a .ly file in Finder =
> will open the file, but if Frescobaldi isn=E2=80=99t already running, it =
> will be started up, but with no file opened.
>
> MacVim will open a double-clicked file without complaint.
>

> I=E2=80=99m not sure what to make of this from a programmer=E2=80=99s =
> point of view, but it seems that the parameters passed by the operating =
> system to the program that is being started aren=E2=80=99t being =
> correctly interpreted by that program once it is running - to the extent =
> of causing it to crash in the case of LibreOffice.

I think Finder does not pass filename parameters "on the command line", but
instead uses some inter-process communication API and not all programs are
coded to handle that properly, mostly because most non-Mac programers are
expecting things to just "show up" in argc/argv.  I believe MS-Windows (of all
things) does pass things to argc/argv, at least for programs coded Posix-style
(int main(int argv,char *argv[]) {...}).  Linux's GUI file managers all do the
Posix thing.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933