[GNC] Chromebooks

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Oct 6 15:42:05 EDT 2018

At Sat, 6 Oct 2018 14:08:00 -0500 (CDT) randix <butterandsalt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Robert. I lost my laptop this morning, and already going through
> withdrawal without GnuCash (I do have backups galore, but backups without a
> program to run them is like a hot fudge sundae without the ice cream). Have
> an available chromebook to use but didn't/don't have a clue what to do with
> it, re gnucash.  Re your post, "Linux + Google's GUI layer" I'm in the
> dark...can you send me someplace so I can understand and implement?

A chromebook runs ChromOS.  ChromOS is a version of Linux, with Google's GUI
frontend.  I *believe* a Linux build of GnuCash should run under ChromOS.
What I don't know is how one would install GnuCash on a chromebook.  I run an
older version of CentOS (6) and GnuCash 2.4.15 is in the epel repo, so it is
trivial to install with the package manager (yum/rpm).  I don't know how extra
/ third party software is installed under ChromOS.  I don't know if there is a
prebuilt binary for ChromOS.  There are binaries in repos for many other
Linux distros.  If it is possible to install the build infrastructure
(compilers, libraries, etc.) for ChromOS, it should be possible to build from
source.

> Thanks.
>

> --

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933