[GNC] Chromebooks

GWB gwb at 2realms.com
Sat Oct 6 17:56:14 EDT 2018

You might be able to gun gnucash on a chromebook using Google Play
Store.  Here's a list of ChromeOS Hardware Google says will work with
Google Play:

https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/chrome-os-systems-supporting-android-apps

I know it can work because I'm looking at GnuCash 2.4.0 right now on
my LG V20.  It opens my gnucash file from my ubuntu 14 laptop (gnucash
version 2.6.7).  So it does recognize and open the gnucash file from
my laptop.  I think it even opened the sqlite .gnucash file, and saved
it as an .xml.  But I can't swear to that.

I have not tried data entry on the android phone.  My guess is that
data entry on a Chromebook might be something like dancing around a
dumpster fire, but it might be better than that.  I would try to
download gnucash from the Google Play Store (if your chromebook lets
you) and try to open your most recent backup file.  You might have to
send it as an email attachment to yourself, and use the browser on the
Chromebook to save it to the device.

Your obsessive backup compulsion is a good thing, a very good thing.
I celebrate that disease myself.  Chromebooks are a little awkward
outside of their principal intended use (web browsing maybe?  I can't
tell), but they can work.

Very sorry you lost your laptop.  That really hoovers.  Worse things
can happen (like dropping the keys to your Saab in Lake Superior), but
just the aggravation of replacing the machine and software is very
time consuming.

Does anyone on the list know of a virtual machine over internet set up
that could run gnucash?  Amazon and Google clouds say they can do
something like that, but it would involve some kind of (X)windows
client over internet.

Gordon