[GNC] Lost my GnuCash data

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Oct 8 10:49:23 EDT 2018

> On Oct 7, 2018, at 5:35 PM, Arnie Yahoo via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> I have been posting deposits and checks to GnuCash from 1/1/18 to end of Sept.
> When I opened the file only data up to Feb 2 appeared, other than a monthly repeat entry.
>
> Is there a method to recover this lost data or do I have to start all over again?
> Is this unusual or random in the software?

It usually means that you’ve opened a backup file at some point. Open the directory in which you store your datafiles in Windows Explorer. Your data file will be named something like “foo.gnucash” and backup files will look like “foo.gnucash.20180915111547.gnucash” where the numbers are a timestamp for when you saved the next version of the file. If you have double timestamps like “foo.gnucash.20180712102332.gnucash.20180715112346.gnucash” then you opened a backup file, made changes, and saved those changes.

Regards,
John Ralls