[GNC] MySQL on GCP

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sat Oct 20 18:08:05 EDT 2018

On Sat, 2018-10-20 at 14:39 -0400, Charles Gagnon wrote:

> My question is around online transactions. After importing, I would
> typically spend some time in the window assigning the right accounts to the
> transactions. This process is now terribly slow with the cloud DB so I'm
> assuming it was written with lot of backend interactions. The workaround is
> fairly simple, I import the transactions as-is (with or without an account)
> and I re-visit in the register window to assign an account.

Charles,

It is hard to understand why the process of importing transactions with unassigned destination accounts and editing them
in the register window is actually more efficient than assigning the accounts in the import matcher. The register
possibly writes the data directly to the db as each account is assigned while the import matcher only appears to up date
the Bayesian matcher data as each account is assigned and only updates the actual transaction data in the db when the OK
button is pressed in the matcher window as far as I can seen in the code on a quick look. It may be possible that the
process of writing out the matcher data is less efficient than that of writing the transaction data perhaps. My
understanding of the GnuCash code is still fairly limited even though I have looked through hat area recently.

Is it the apparent delay in having to assign the transfer accounts singly to all transactions in the matcher window
which makes this process appear to be slower for you?

There is one improvment coming up in V4 which will enable multiple selection in the matcher window for assignment of a
single transfer account to all selected  transactions, which should at least speed up the initial assignment of transfer
accounts, but once the Bayesian matcher gets educated, I am finding that the matcher automatically assigns the correct
transfer account in many cases.

Somewhere in the changeover from 2.6.19 to v3.0, I appeared to have lost my previous matcher data. It may heve been that
I changed the preference on Bayesian matching in the Online Banking preferences during that process as well.

David Cousens