[GNC] How to run GNUcash in portable fashion?

Kim Wood kim.wood at bigpond.net.au
Sat Oct 27 08:46:12 EDT 2018

Here is another suggestion that works for me.

I use the most recent PortableApps build, and simply delete the
\PortableApps\GnuCashPortable\App\gnucash directory, and replace it with my
more recent c:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash directory.  Works fine for me,
and has since the PortableApps version of GnuCash was first released some
time ago.  This should allow you to use the nightly build maint versions too
if you want to stay on the bleeding edge.  I understand that any significant
change in GnuCash could break this hack - so I only use the latest
PortableApps 3.2.0 version of GnuCash Portable.

Note:  This is a hack for you Windows users only.  Further, I then run the
PortableApps Installer generator tool to create a fresh new installer for a
future installation should I need it.  I also prefer a different GnuCash
splash screen and PortableApp icons for my portable version.  All very
easily done and all works fine.  This might be a better solution for you, as
the PortableApps folks appear to have done a pretty good job with their
portabilization.

Regards,

Kim