[GNC] How to run GNUcash in portable fashion?

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 09:40:38 EDT 2018

On 27/10/2018 13:46, Kim Wood wrote:
> Here is another suggestion that works for me.
>
> I use the most recent PortableApps build, and simply delete the
> \PortableApps\GnuCashPortable\App\gnucash directory, and replace it with my
> more recent c:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash directory.  Works fine for me,
> and has since the PortableApps version of GnuCash was first released some
> time ago.

If I understand what you are doing, you're relying on PA to keep your
book and its meta-data together rather than gnc itself.  That makes
sense as gnc fucked up when they went the MS way.  However I think you
should test your backup and restore procedures as things might not be
where you (or JTH) expect them to be since gnc 3.x

   This should allow you to use the nightly build maint versions too
> if you want to stay on the bleeding edge.  I understand that any significant
> change in GnuCash could break this hack - so I only use the latest
> PortableApps 3.2.0 version of GnuCash Portable.

That only got fixed because I made a noise in these forums and elsewhere
and is one behind.

> Note:  This is a hack for you Windows users only.  Further, I then run the
> PortableApps Installer generator tool to create a fresh new installer for a
> future installation should I need it.  I also prefer a different GnuCash
> splash screen and PortableApp icons for my portable version.  All very
> easily done and all works fine.  This might be a better solution for you, as
> the PortableApps folks appear to have done a pretty good job with their
> portabilization.

The PA people are very good at what they do and understand the weirdness
of where MS want things to be much better than the gnc leaders [1], the
problem is JTH needs to be kept on his toes about changes to apps and
wasn't expecting the dir structory change.

[1] they develop an app, I understand Win users are a nuisance

--
Wm