[GNC] A feature request for next release

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Sep 2 14:49:22 EDT 2018

On Sun, 2 Sep 2018, Geert Janssens wrote:

> As for the specific suggestion of text only tool bar buttons, this used to
> be one of such user tweaks. Unfortunately gtk (the gui toolkit we depend
> on) dropped this option. You could consider this a bug, but that would
> make it a gtk bug. I don't want gnucash to become more complicated just to
> work around it.

Geert,

   Yes, I remember this from many years ago. I'll consider asking the GTK
folks to add it back.

> Having said all that, I also think our UI is desperately in need of some
> serious review and improvement. It's more than 20 years old and a lot has
> changed in terms of computer interaction in that time. That is a project
> on its own though which may or may not be started for gnucash 4.x.

   My perspective on application UI is that function should preceed form. The
UI should facilitate using the tool, and being 'pretty' should be a much
lower priority as that's in the eye of the user.

Regards,

Rich