[GNC] Gnucash Flatpak 3.2 Mysql issue

Plutocrat plutocrat at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 00:00:25 EDT 2018

Well I was bored at work (which isn't to say I didn't have any to do ...), so I thought I'd fiddle around with the gnucash flatpak I had installed on my laptop to see if I could figure out what was going on.

I personally use the XML file, so I installed mysql-server, struggled to reset the root password and then created a gnucash user and database. Tried to save to host=localhost, db=gnucash, user=gnucash, password=xxxxxx and experienced the same problem as previously detailed on this list.

Cue an hour of digging through documentation on flatpak,
http://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/sandbox-permissions-reference.html

This looked promising, but didn't work, throwing an error.
flatpak permission-show org.gnucash.GnuCash

This flag looked like it might work, but made no difference.
--share=network  (Giving network access also grants access to all host services listening on abstract Unix sockets (due to how network namespaces work)

Eventually I found the manifest.json file in /usr/lib/flatpak/blah/blah and determined that it did actually have network access anyway. And /home/user/ directory access, for the record.

I was poring through mysql logs, and I saw 'Listening on 127.0.0.1', so I thought I'd give that a try on the off-chance ... and it worked! Database saved OK, and I could work off that one.

So, apparently changing hostname from localhost to 127.0.0.1 was the magic charm. Anyone else want to give it a try and report back?

P.