[GNC] UK Shares and Yahoo as JSON

Eric Coates eric.coates at sky.com
Tue Sep 4 15:12:50 EDT 2018

Hi

Context: I’m running GnuCash 2.16.7 on Ubuntu 1604 with Finance-Quote 1.47.

Like many others I have been using AlphaVantage as the source for my
online share price retrievals and been experiencing difficulties.
Following up on hints in the mailing list I have tried using
Single/Yahoo as JSON as an alternative source.

Having set the source as Single/Yahoo as JSON for all my shares and
clicking Get Quotes I got very rich! Unfortunately, a quick
investigation revealed that, although my European shares had received
(what looked like) good quotes, the prices received for my UK shares
come back 100 times too big.

As I have relatively few shares and usually only update the prices at
the end of the month it is not totally ridiculous to input UK share
prices by hand. But it would be so much nicer to be able to do it
automatically.

Assuming that others are having the same problem with UK shares and
Yahoo as JSON (are they?), is there a known (and hopefully simple) way
to correct the Yahoo prices?

I wonder if there is a possible alternative: It has been hinted here
that GnuCash 3 has a much improved CSV importer and (if I understand
properly) it is possible to input share prices using it. It would be
possible to get the list of shares and their prices from my broker
account. Is the GnuCash 3 importer documented (I can't find anything) so
as to make the import easy? (But that means upgrading and, again, my
ignorance means I need simple instructions.)

As always, my thanks to the developers and the documentation team and
other users of this list for their time and efforts

Best wishes

Eric

PS: Please forgive this aside:

On the Securities Editor page, for me, it is not possible to un-tick the
box in the Get Quote column. Should it be?