[GNC] [OT] Why is Debit abbreviated Dr?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 5 09:59:15 EDT 2018

Hi All,

I'm an Engineer by training; I've picked up a ton of accounting
knowledge just by being involved here for the past few decades, but
there's one thing I've seen recently that I honestly don't underdstand
and would appreciate if a CPA or Accounting Historian could answer.

Specifically, I've seen people show a transaction as:

    Dr ...  /  Cr ...

So CR as an abbreviation for Credit makes sense to me (CRedit).  But why
is Debit abbreviated as DR?  There is no "R" in DEBIT.  So where does
that come from?  I would have expected it to be "Db".

Just curious.