[GNC] Online Price Retrieval Fails

nvsoar nvsoar at charter.net
Sat Sep 15 18:46:54 EDT 2018

On 09/06/18 07:12, John Ralls wrote:

>> On Sep 5, 2018, at 8:49 PM, nvsoar <nvsoar at charter.net
>> <mailto:nvsoar at charter.net>> wrote:

>>> Run the Online Price Retrieval Setup program. Date::Manip is a
>>> required perl module.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls
>>>

>> That's what did not work.  Downloaded v2.6.21; went GnuCash menu and
>> selected "Install Online Price Retrieval for GnuCash."  This action
>> resulted in the message above at the end of the process. Observing
>> the process running on the terminal showed a message similar to
>> "could not find DateManip" part way through.
>>
>> I apologize for not being clear in the initial report.
>
> Hmm. Date::Manip is in the CPAN repository,
> https://cpan.metacpan.org/authors/id/S/SB/SBECK/Date-Manip-6.73.tar.gz.
> The URL has changed, though, from cpan.org <http://cpan.org> to
> metacpan.org <http://metacpan.org>. That’s just the last couple of
> months, I think.
>
> Try opening a Strawberry Perl window from the Start menu and run the
> command
>   cpan -i Date::Manip
>
> There are likely multiple error messages and having the output in a
> window that doesn’t disappear at the end will help you see them all.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

For info - Here are the results from the above suggestion -
---------------------
C:\>cd strawberry

C:\strawberry> cpan -i Date::Manip
CPAN: CPAN::SQLite loaded ok (v0.203)
CPAN: LWP::UserAgent loaded ok (v6.05)
CPAN: Time::HiRes loaded ok (v1.9726)
Fetching with LWP:
http://cpan.strawberryperl.com/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
CPAN: YAML::XS loaded ok (v0.41)
Fetching with LWP:
http://cpan.strawberryperl.com/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
Fetching with LWP:
http://cpan.strawberryperl.com/modules/03modlist.data.gz
Database was generated on Wed, 05 Sep 2018 03:53:51 GMT

Updating database file ...
Done!
Warning: Cannot install Date::Manip, don't know what it is.
Try the command

     i /Date::Manip/

to find objects with matching identifiers.

C:\strawberry> i /Date::Manip/
'i' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\strawberry>cpan i /Date::Manip/
CPAN: CPAN::SQLite loaded ok (v0.203)
Database was generated on Sat, 15 Sep 2018 22:32:21 GMT

Warning: Cannot install i, don't know what it is.
Try the command

     i /i/

to find objects with matching identifiers.
CPAN: Time::HiRes loaded ok (v1.9726)
Sorry, install with a regular expression is only supported when unambiguous.
Rejecting argument '/Date::Manip/'

C:\strawberry>