[GNC] Online Price Retrieval Fails

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Sep 15 21:01:14 EDT 2018

> On Sep 15, 2018, at 3:46 PM, nvsoar <nvsoar at charter.net> wrote:
>
> On 09/06/18 07:12, John Ralls wrote:

>>> That's what did not work.  Downloaded v2.6.21; went GnuCash menu and selected "Install Online Price Retrieval for GnuCash."  This action resulted in the message above at the end of the process. Observing the process running on the terminal showed a message similar to "could not find DateManip" part way through.
>>>
>>> I apologize for not being clear in the initial report.
>>
>> Hmm. Date::Manip is in the CPAN repository, https://cpan.metacpan.org/authors/id/S/SB/SBECK/Date-Manip-6.73.tar.gz. The URL has changed, though, from cpan.org <http://cpan.org> to metacpan.org <http://metacpan.org>. That’s just the last couple of months, I think.
>>
>> Try opening a Strawberry Perl window from the Start menu and run the command
>>   cpan -i Date::Manip
>>
>> There are likely multiple error messages and having the output in a window that doesn’t disappear at the end will help you see them all.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>
> For info - Here are the results from the above suggestion -
> ---------------------
> C:\>cd strawberry
>
> C:\strawberry> cpan -i Date::Manip
> CPAN: CPAN::SQLite loaded ok (v0.203)
> CPAN: LWP::UserAgent loaded ok (v6.05)
> CPAN: Time::HiRes loaded ok (v1.9726)
> Fetching with LWP:
> http://cpan.strawberryperl.com/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
> CPAN: YAML::XS loaded ok (v0.41)
> Fetching with LWP:
> http://cpan.strawberryperl.com/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
> Fetching with LWP:
> http://cpan.strawberryperl.com/modules/03modlist.data.gz
> Database was generated on Wed, 05 Sep 2018 03:53:51 GMT
>
> Updating database file ...
> Done!
> Warning: Cannot install Date::Manip, don't know what it is.
> Try the command
>
>     i /Date::Manip/
>
> to find objects with matching identifiers.
>
> C:\strawberry> i /Date::Manip/
> 'i' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> C:\strawberry>cpan i /Date::Manip/
> CPAN: CPAN::SQLite loaded ok (v0.203)
> Database was generated on Sat, 15 Sep 2018 22:32:21 GMT
>
> Warning: Cannot install i, don't know what it is.
> Try the command
>
>     i /i/
>
> to find objects with matching identifiers.
> CPAN: Time::HiRes loaded ok (v1.9726)
> Sorry, install with a regular expression is only supported when unambiguous.
> Rejecting argument '/Date::Manip/'

The instruction to try the command 'i Date::Manip' assumes that you're running cpan as an interactive shell. The easiest way to do that is to open Strawberry Perl>CPAN Client from the Start menu.

It seems that something has gotten borked with Strawberry's index. Try installing Date::Manip::Date instead:
  cpan -i Date::Manip::Date

That actually installs all of Date::Manip. We can only hope that Strawberry gets its index fixed on the next build.

Regards,
John Ralls