[GNC] Another sort field like 'Class' in Quicken?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Sep 17 11:13:08 EDT 2018

Not quite the case on the last point. It does propagate from a single entry of a transaction.

With the option checked, you enter the numbers in the Action field of *each* split and you can do this all in one entry from one register.  (the option locks the actual NUM field against editing) But when you view one of the other registers, the corresponding transaction will have *its* number in the NUM field instead of any of the others.

So if you enter a payment on a bill and use your check number on the payment split for the Checking register, then enter perhaps a sequential number on the AP split, when you view the Checking register you’ll see the check number in the NUM field, but in the AP register you’ll see the sequential transaction number there. (If you are in Transaction Journal view so you can see all splits, you’ll be able to see that check number in the Action field even from the AP register)

Although I don’t currently use this option, I may switch. I use the NUM field for a time stamp since GnuCash (while keeping it internally) doesn’t let me set a time in addition to the date for a transaction. This can result in erroneous negative balances, particularly where it is impossible to have a negative balance, like a Cash account. My current method is to enter 24 hour time, without a “:” separator but ending in “t” to denote it is not a regular transaction number—e.g., 1514t for 3:14pm. When a customer pays me however with a check, that means I can’t enter the check number in that field and have to place it somewhere else. With this option checked, I could continue to use NUM for time stamps where I need to, and also record actual document numbers for the other register(s) in the transaction.

Regards,
Adrien