[GNC] confusion over a/p payable - receivable

johneire31 jmccarthyeire at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 20:35:58 EDT 2018

Im new to this program and really need a hand.  I have read the manual and
tried a good few searches also.

My issue is to do with billing.

Ok, I have a set of business accounts up an going.
I have set up vendors
I enter a new vendors bill, add all the details and select expense:
stationary as the as expense account. the amount is $34

I then post it and I have set up the A/P payables under liabilities and all
seems well.

Here is where I get confused.  I look at the chart of accounts and go to
Liabilities - Payables and the transaction is listed as a bill which makes
perfect sense.

I then go an pay invoice and transfer from checking account.   The result is
that in payables its stated as a payment and the amount is deducted from
payables and this too makes sense.

Now, when I go to the expense account: Stationary the transaction is listed
as -$34 in red.  Why does it not reduce this expense account once I make a
payment similar to what it did in payables? and why is it a negative
balance?

Is it meant to reduce the expense account or  does the expense account just
keep add up all the transactions that are put in it?

Confused on this and any help would be grateful.  Other than this I am
making great progress and really like the program and can't believe the
amount of tools in it