[GNC] Problem opening Gnucash with High Sierra

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Sep 21 10:30:57 EDT 2018

> On Sep 21, 2018, at 5:17 AM, Margo J. Hittleman <mjh17 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>
> As others have noted in the past, Gnucash does not seem to be working well with High Sierra. I am currently unable to open the Gnucash app at all. I am using High Sierra 10.13.6 on a MacBook Air, and just downloaded the latest version of Gnucash (3.2). The same thing happens whether I am using the app that was already on my computer (which I think was the latest, but am not certain), or I try to open the just downloaded version. When I launch the app, it goes through the process of seemingly loading, and then stops without opening.  I have YEARS of financial data on this app, so I hope there is a way to get it to work! Thank you.

It’s far more likely to be a problem with your data file than anything to do with MacOS.

First, look at the trace file [1] for errors. If there aren’t any, try running GnuCash from a Terminal session with  debugging (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal, command line /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash --debug --extra). That will result in a more detailed trace file and may print something useful to the terminal as well.

If GnuCash is crashing MacOS will write a crash report. The easy way to view those is in Console (/Appliations/Utilities/Console) under User Reports. If you have some of those, open a bug report at https://bugs.gnucash <https://bugs.gnucash/>.org and *attach*, not paste into comments, the crash report (right click, pick “Reveal in Finder” to locate it) and the trace file.

Regards,
John Ralls

[1] https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Trace_file <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Trace_file>