[GNC] Error While Saving in GnuCash 3.5 on Win7-64

Ronal B Morse ron at morsehouse.com
Thu Apr 4 17:48:33 EDT 2019

This probably doesn't have anything to do with your issue, but I've
never been a fan of spaces in paths/filenames.  Back in the olde days it
wasn't allowed. I gather that's changed, but it still strikes me as bad
juju.

I'm a Linux guy and even though I guess we can use spaces we have to
delimit them in quote marks, so it's just easier to forgo the space or
use an underscore character as a separator instead.

Windows should be able to handle file path statements of 247 (or
thereabouts) characters. I don't thing the length of the string is the
problem.

Ron Morse

On 4/4/19 2:34 PM, Greg Feneis wrote:
> The path that 3.5 failed to write to is:
>
> C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
> Files\(VerboseFileNameProbably30chars.gnucash)
>
> The last successful saves to this directory was by GnuCash 2.6.21, and was:
>
> C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
> Files\AfterImporting2018ThroughQ4.gnucash.20190401075914.log  (4/1/2019
> 8:01AM)
>
> C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
> Files\AfterImporting2018ThroughQ4.gnucash
> (4/1/2019 7:59AM)
>
> Since I suspected it was a path length issue, I tried saving the file name
> test.gnucash in the same location, but got the same error.  So I went one
> folder back and tried to save again and it failed the same way.  I kept
> shortening the path like this until it did save, which was as follows:
>
> C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\test.gnucash
>

> Kind regards,
> Greg Feneis
>
> On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 12:28 PM Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What is the path above the section you have shown?
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 at 01:46, Greg Feneis <mfeneis at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just upgraded to 3.5 from 2.6.21.
>>>
>>> I've been using 2.6.x for a few years, and never had trouble saving to
>> this
>>> directory, but after upgrading to 3.5, I tried to save and it gives me an
>>> error message.
>>>
>>> "You attempted to save in "can't be displayed" or a subdirectory thereof.
>>> This is not allowed as GnuCash reserves that director for internal use.
>>>
>>> Please try again in a different directory."  (close)
>>>

>>> Here's a link to a screen shot of the error message:
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/1opqys3wxuyw4rv/2019-04-02_17-05-34.png?dl=0
>>>
>>> Note that where I wrote "can't be displayed" is actually a strange
>> graphic
>>> like when an emoji can't be displayed.  See the screen shot.
>>>
>>> It appears when the error message was generated, the file path couldn't
>> be
>>> parsed.  This makes me think GnuCash isn't capable of parsing the save to
>>> path.  I suspect it's a path length issue.  I tried shorter paths and it