[GNC] Error While Saving in GnuCash 3.5 on Win7-64

Greg Feneis mfeneis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 19:00:31 EDT 2019

Thanks for all the info, Ron.

I don't disagree with anything you've written, except that I've been using
spaces in folder and file names on windows computers since the late 20th
century.  The olden days are over.  I'm glad you found a work around for
naming files and folders in Linux without using spaces.

It remains that GnuCash 2.6.21 and previous versions, regularly saved a
path and file name that contained spaces and was usually around 100 chars
long.  Whereas 3.5 behaved as if it was unable to do so until the path
length was reduced substantially.  It should be capable of saving a path
more than twice as long as what I was attempting to do, if it were
compliant with window's path length specs.  That's why I reported it.  If
GnuCash is not capable of that path length or anything else WRT
construction of the path, the error message(s) it gives the user should be
appropriate to the violation.  The message I received was not.

So there are three things I'm tryna report on this.  1. GnuCash 3.5 seems
to require an abnormally short path length.  2. When I exceeded the length
I tried GnuCash presented an error message that indicated I was trying to
save to a location reserved by GnuCash (inappropriate error message).  3.
Even though the error message was inappropriate, within the message,
GnuCash tried to display the path as part of the error message, it
apparently couldn't do that.

I think this is a great program and when I find things like this I like to
report them because I feel like I'm contributing to the sw development.

What do base your doubt of the path length being the problem on?

Kind regards,

Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>