[GNC] Posting a bad debt

rmomxtx at gmail.com rmomxtx at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 17:05:20 EDT 2019

Adrian,

I did not know you could assign a different type account to a sub-account.
Tried that and it still does not show up in the receive payment window, even
after closing and reopening the program. When I added the bad debts account
as a sub of accounts receivable, GnuCash automatically assigned it the same
category as the parent account. What changing the type to asset did
accomplish was that it not longer shows up as an option in the dropdown
lists for account receivable account to charge in the invoice module,
sub-tasks: post the invoice and receive payment.

I think if I selected the bad debt sub-account from that dropdown window it
would reflect the reduction in the rollup but I would have to come up with a
different asset, liability or equity account to receive the payment.

The version of GnuCash I'm working with is indeed 2, specifically 2.6.17.
The version I use for my family finances and another business is 2.6.18, the
one on the computer I'm using to respond to these emails. I thought I had
updated the program on the other computer as well. I assume I can go from
2.6.17 to 2.6.21 to 3.5.

As for services in kind, I think the easiest solution is to create an
unearned income liability account and pay for the service from there. The
income invoice is then paid in the invoice module from the liability
account, the entire amount, so the balance in favor of the customer will
show up in the receive payment window and in the reports.

Thanks,

Roger

Message: 9