[GNC] US Bans Free tax Software

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 11 01:15:49 EDT 2019

While it may be lamentable that the US government is headed down this path, if is not necessarily the same disaster...
Since Gnucash is not tax software, and I am not a professional tax expert, I use Gnucash for tracking my finances (including using tax options extensively), and Turbotax to submit my taxes. I use Gnucash to verify the official documents that I receive from various agencies.

David

  On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 10:05, David Cousens<davidcousens at bigpond.com> wrote:   Just noticed this post.
https://news.yahoo.com/free-irs-software-filing-taxes-191746938.html?fbclid=IwAR3-GIPM3S6SazRqcyKb1Lywu4wMhtWB9Je8YU_cK_usuW4FLf13y07ATJs.
Impact on the use of GnuCash for Tax preparation in the US could be
profound. Looks like the US government is trying to head the same way as the
Brits.  Australia has done something similar recently in that one has to
join a consortium of software developers (at a significant fee) to get full
access to the information needed to build in software communication to the
ATO. The ATO no longer publishes the protocols in use and has outsourced
developmemnt of the protocols to a non-government consortium

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens