[GNC] US Bans Free tax Software

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Thu Apr 11 02:24:35 EDT 2019

One does have to account for the media's tendency to overdramatize things.

We do have a web form based submission system  for indiviuals in Australia
or you have the option of submitting through a tax agent. The business
reporting currently has also a similar web portal, but I did see a plan in
place to move business reporting towards all electronic reporting from
software enabled for it in the near future. Assumption is that businesses
will use and can afford products which are enabled for this. Not so good for
charitable, not-for-profit and small startup businesses perhaps.There are
software products similar to turbo tax  currently available and in
development here.

It does seem that the information is available here in a series of
circularly self referncing documents. Last time I explored this I ended up
with 10-12 documents open in Libre Office and 2-3 instances of my browser
each with 10-15 tabs open. I came away very little the wiser in terms of how
I might write software to do this. It does seem to be a work in progress and
I have noticed a few new documents produced by the consortium are now
appearing which make it clearer and fill in gaps and available to the public
at no cost.

I think many countries have the common problem of governments governing for
the benefits of major corporations at the expense of their constituents and
handing off the reponsibilities of government off to private corporations to
profit from. Our major political parties also put aside their differences
here when it comes to turning the screws on the taxpayer so I think it is a
problem by no means unique to the US.

David

-----
David Cousens