[GNC] US Bans Free tax Software

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at mtneva.com
Thu Apr 11 01:28:04 EDT 2019

On 4/10/19 10:33 PM, David Cousens wrote:
> Just noticed this post.
> https://news.yahoo.com/free-irs-software-filing-taxes-191746938.html?fbclid=IwAR3-GIPM3S6SazRqcyKb1Lywu4wMhtWB9Je8YU_cK_usuW4FLf13y07ATJs.
> Impact on the use of GnuCash for Tax preparation in the US could be
> profound. Looks like the US government is trying to head the same way as the
> Brits.  Australia has done something similar recently in that one has to
> join a consortium of software developers (at a significant fee) to get full
> access to the information needed to build in software communication to the
> ATO. The ATO no longer publishes the protocols in use and has outsourced
> developmemnt of the protocols to a non-government consortium

I'm don't think will have any effect on Gnucash today because Gnucash
does not do tax preparation: filling out IRS forms and submitting them
electronically to the IRS.  I doubt it would, given the yearly changes
in the forms and regulations.

Never the less it is discouraging news.  The IRS could, and should
provide active forms, with the info they have on taxpayers pre-entered
and with interactive help for entering the rest of it.  The U.S. Democrats
and Republicans seem to have no problems coming together when the target
in screwing American tax payers to the benefit of large corporations.
Business as usual.