[GNC] US Bans Free tax Software

Jeff Abrahamson jeff at p27.eu
Thu Apr 11 02:12:28 EDT 2019

For those who use gnucash for personal finances, I don't see this being
important (to that goal).  As Stuart notes, gnucash provides a way to
understand your finances and prepare to file your taxes, but it doesn't
purport to know anything about tax law.

Probably the bigger issue in the U.S. is the complexity of the tax
system and the creation of an expectation that tax filing is and should
be hard, should require assistance.  (A huge fraction of U.S. tax payers
pay for tax preparation assitance.  In many countries, it is a rare
exception.)  In many European countries, for example, it's a non-event
for most people: either you don't have to file anything at all (assuming
an "uninteresting" financial life) or you just have to rubber stampe
what the tax authorities compute for you (e.g., click a button that says
"ok").  A very small fraction of people have "interesting" tax lives and
so have to do something.

The UK and France, probably among others, have rules that make the use
of FOSS accounting software difficult or illegal.  In France it's under
the guise of preventing people from cheating on VAT.  It's
anti-competitive, of course, but if we were going to start talking about
anti-competitive laws, this might not be the most influential place to
start.

Jeff Abrahamson
http://p27.eu/jeff/
http://transport-nantes.com/