[GNC] US Bans Free tax Software

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Apr 11 02:14:32 EDT 2019

I’m not a fan of the corporate protectionism in the bill, but it doesn’t change anything practical-wise for anyone. It enshrines the status quo. The IRS currently does not have free tax filing software made available to taxpayers. This law prohibits the IRS from ever developing it. (a protectionist kickback to Intuit and H&R Block)

This will have no effect on GnuCash. The bill doesn’t prohibit free tax software from the private sector, it prohibits the IRS from developing it and making it available.

If the bill doesn’t pass, the IRS intends to proceed with plans to develop a free .gov filing system and to mail out pre-filled forms with the data they have on file about you. (essentially, a "check the box that’s correct and sign here, don’t forget to include your payment” form, for those who don’t want to file electronically)

There was an agreement in place that the IRS would not create such a system (undercutting the aforementioned companies) as long as those companies offered free filing to anyone making less than $66k per year. While they do offer such free filing, they tried to hide it and try to cross-sell/upsell other services so that only a small percentage of those eligible actually file for free. Because of this, the IRS has intentions not to continue the agreement.

Regards,
Adrien