[GNC] Suggesting simple interface changes

ChrisInAccounting Chrissnewton at outlook.com
Wed Apr 10 23:57:36 EDT 2019

I work in accounting and think it may help newbies if a few changes were
made.

1.  In the chart of accounts, call the page "chart of accounts" rather than
accounts (as default).  This will help them communicate with other business
owner's who use other accounting platforms.  "Chart of Accounts" is
universal in accounting and will only hinder the GnuCash user if they are
learning different uncommon lingo.

2.  The page displaying Chart of Accounts has three columns that I would
suggest be modified.  As it stands in version 3.5, the columns are "Account
Name", "Description", and "Total".  This default setup is redundant, as the
description is the same as the account name.  Again, for the benefit of new
users, I highly suggest replacing the 'Description' column with "account
type".  This way the user's eye can scan left to right to see the account
name along with the type of account it is.

     I can see that the chart of accounts are listed as a hierarchy by
account type, which is helpful, but the redundancy of having 'description'
next to is, to me, is wasteful. Also consider that once the account list
gets so long (under the parent of 'expenses', per se), the new user will
have to scroll up to verify which account type they are working under rather
than being able to quickly just eyeball to the right.  So please consider
this modification.

3.  Last, it would be helpful if the user could right click any account name
and be able to run a report on it.  The "reports' tool as I currently see it
is clunkly.  Being in the chart of accounts allows the user to go straight
to the source to run a report on it.  Having to go to reports and scan
through all the report options seems a little bit too long of a route, and
less intuitive.  If this can be added, awesome.

Thank you to the developers and contributors for bringing an opensource
accounting platform this far.  Greatly greatly appreciated.

Any questions on the accounting side of things just drop me a line.
Cheers,
Chris