[GNC] My experience importing 19 years of Quicken data into GnuCash

cicko alen.siljak at gmx.com
Thu Apr 11 04:52:09 EDT 2019

GWB wrote
> Unless you are willing to spend some time learning various sql query
> and dbase commands and functions, I would stick with SQLite and make
> snapshots (if your file system allows it) or frequent backups.

I'm also doing this manually with the SQLite backend. I wrote a small Python
script that compacts the database, compresses it using LZMA algorithm, and
creates a copy in the backup folder. There I keep ~50 recent files, manually
copying the last one every month to a long-term backup directory.

While the backup scheme implemented for the XML storage is nice and
convenient, I don't think it would be necessary to try to accommodate all
the different backends in that regard. I can only thank the developers for
making it so simple as to having one file with all the data when using
SQLite backend. That way I can implement any backup scheme I like. On Linux
there are some nice automatic backup options available but I stopped using
that after writing the above script, which I now use on all the platforms
where I use GnuCash.